Saturday, November 06, 2010

BOOK LAUNCH

It felt like a university seminar.

Frankly, that could’ve been due to several factors. Perhaps it was the topic, Manitoba premiers of the 19th and 20th centuries, or perhaps it was due to the people in attendance, mostly professors and other academic-types.

In any case, the book launch for Manitoba Premiers of the 19th and 20th Centuries edited by Barry Ferguson and Robert Wardhaugh held at McNally Robinson Booksellers on Thursday, November 4, brought back memories of my time studying politics and history at the University of Manitoba. 

Poster near the entrance of the store.

As I walked into the lobby of the bookstore, passing by a poster advertising the book launch, one of the many scattered throughout the store, I couldn’t help but walk towards a neatly laid out display of the books. Copies were stacked one on top of the other on a small wooden table, surrounded by flowers and prairie grasses – bear in mind I know next to nothing about gardening, and those arrangements could’ve been anything.

I decided to pick up a copy and glance at it. As I was flipping through the book, Ferguson happened to walk by. For whatever reason, rather than setting the book down from where I had picked it up – as was my intention – I kept the copy and marched right towards the counter to purchase it. I don’t quite know why I bought it. Somehow, I almost felt obliged to purchase the book and probably would have felt guilty if I hadn’t.

Me, standing next to display of books.

Jonathan Toews, not to be confused with his namesake from the Chicago Blackhawks, hosted the event. His job wasn’t particularly easy. In my opinion it’s rather hard to jazz up a crowd for a book about history, especially a book about Manitoba premiers. His duties also had him silencing construction crews working on renovations in the store. Frankly, there’s nothing quite as annoying as a buzz saw going off in the middle of a speech.

On a side note, I did find it impressive that a construction crew was working well into the evening. If only we could get that kind of dedication from city repair crews. But I digress.

After a brief introduction by Toews, Ferguson took to the podium. His coeditor Wardhaugh was not in attendance, therefore Ferguson had to introduce the book on his own. He spoke at length of the support he received from his publishers, and from the contributors who wrote biographies of Manitoba premiers for the book. It was a rather dry affair offering up little in terms of enthusiasm or entertainment, hence my comparison to a university seminar.

Barry Ferguson introduces book.

A few of the contributors were in attendance at the launch, and Ferguson invited some to address the crowd. James Mochoruk, who wrote a chapter on Thomas Greenway, the premier of Manitoba from 1888 until 1900, was one of three contributors who addressed the gathering.

Of all that was said at the book launch, Mochoruk offered the most insightful comment about writing biographies. He noted that “when you write a biography about a historical figure, you either learn to love them or hate them by the end of your story.”

The speeches lasted roughly half an hour in total. Once the speeches were through, a reception followed, and the sawing was allowed to resume.

3 comments:

  1. Actually I was there the other night and recognized the construction crew. It was one man: Paul McNally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of you next to the display of books! aha

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many Jonathan Toews jokes...

    ReplyDelete